Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Neck Pain.

Last weekend I finished a paper on neck pain. I spent over 40 hours reading research and formulating my own analysis. The funny thing about spending all that time on research is that my clinical applications were so succinct. They boiled down to this:

Lots of research has been conducted to show that exercise is helpful in reducing neck pain. Research shows that spinal mobilization increases the pain reducing benefit of exercise. For patients who do not tolerate exercise well, simple chin tucking exercises while lying down are recommended. All exercise routines should be performed over at least a three month period to promote muscle growth. This 3-month training period will promote reduction of neck pain into the long-term.

And that is what 40 hours of research will get you. I have to say that I enjoyed the process of discovery and learning. Especially I enjoyed reflecting on the process of arriving at knowledge.

No comments: